[Editor's Note: Here
are a few questions from the live quiz held as part of
Tyagaraja Nada Yoga Vaibhavam, a special
Tyagaraja Aradhana event organized by Carnatica at Narada Gana Sabha Mini
Hall, Chennai, Jan. 22 - 25, 2005]
- Name Tyagaraja's first and last
Namo Namo Raghavaya (Desiya Todi) and Paritapamu (Manohari)
- Which is Tyagaraja's composition in the Raga
Supradeepam and what deity is it on?
Varashikhi Vahana on Lord Muruga
- Which of Tyagaraja's compositions is reputed
to have brought a dead body back to life?
Naajeevaadhaara in Bilahari
- Which was the song composed by Gopalakrishna
Bharati at the instance of Tyagaraja?
Sabhapatikku Veru Deivam in Abhogi
- Name the song Tyagaraja composed when he
lost his beloved Rama idol and the song composed when the idol was
Nenendu Vetagudura (Karnataka Behag) and Kanukontini (Bilahari)
- Name the three famous shishya paramparas
(schools) instrumental in propagating the bard's works.
Umayalpuram, Tillaisthanam and Walajahpet
- Which of the nava vidha bhaktis (nine
forms of worship) is described in the Mayamalavagaula kriti "Tulasidalamulache..."?
- In which composition does Tyagaraja ask, "If
you condescend to give me darshan, would you be losing any of your valuable
property, O Rama?"
Etuda Nilichite (Shankarabharanam)
- Which kriti reflects the following
observation of Tyagaraja: "In association with the Paramatma, Sita Devi
serves Rama and keeps him in prosperity despite all hardships" ?
Sari Evvare (Shriranjani)
- Which episode in the Ramayana is referred to
in the kriti "Shri Rama Padama..." (Amritavahini)?
Ahalya Shapa Vimochanam (Relieving Ahalya of the curse)
- In which kriti has Tyagaraja referred to
Rama as "rasika shiromani"?
- Name the popular kriti sung during Anjaneya
Utsavams and as the penultimate piece in congregational singing.
- Name two songs in which Tyagaraja describes
the beauty of the lock of hair dangling on Rama's forehead.
Alagalalla (Madhyamavati) and Sogasujuda Tarama (Kannadagaula)
- Name the famous kriti (and its ragam) in
which Tyagaraja asks Rama how he should be worshipped - as Shiva, Vishnu or
- In which kriti is there a reference to the
Kakasura episode in the Ramayana?
Eramuni Nammitino (Vakulabharanam)